Search This Blog

Thursday 9 February 2012

Log cabin fever

It is snowing and I have just received a new delivery of smokeless fuel and seasoned logs. It is time to stay indoors and indulge in my latest current passion of knitting log cabin squares for a sitting room blanket. The inspiration came from my son's house mate, Kat, who showed me her first panel for a quilt for Kate's baby. I couldn't remember the name of the pattern but she reminded me that it was log cabin and I decided that I would give it a go with some of the stash wool. I had plenty of raspberry pink double knitting from the swatches I had made up for the chickens and some leftover creams and beiges from Christmas cowls. Inevitably I made a quick trip to the nearest wool shop yesterday - in anticipation of the snow but the squares, so far, apart from a couple of shades of brown, have been knitted up from the stash. I am hoping that this is not a displacement activity from continuing with Charlie's cardigan. I had been doing well with this particular project over the weekend - back and right front and one sleeve completed but once the idea of log cabin squares had been planted into my head I just had to give it a go.
I am working on 4mm needles and with double knitting wool. I have no particular plan with the squares. They will be sewn together in a random way or I may knit or crochet borders. Looking at examples on line there are so many delightful ways to finish. I will just have to knit sufficient squares and then make a decison.

No comments:

Post a Comment