Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Filling the skip

The move is possibly imminent though not confirmed but, in hope and expectation, I ordered a skip - or a dumpster as my Canadian cousin reminded me - a much more appropriate name.
The skip arrived early this morning. Both sides of a the house have been piled up with rubbish for a couple of weeks:
The contents, almost entire, of the loft
The contents of 3 sheds
Detritus of 25 years hidden in every possible place
2 wardrobes - broken and irretrievable
A cot - in pieces 
Remnants of broken bookshelves - a mass of MDF.
The ring binders of work of 3 children from GCSE through A levels to 14 years' worth of university ( the non recyclable bits)
3 television tables - broken
One filing cabinet, collapsed
Odd shelves....... 2 broken desks.....
Anything metal has been left near to the road and immediately collected but the rest needed to go into the skip. I googled "how to fill a skip" and started with flat bits on the bottom - that took up quite a lot of space. Then  I started to throw in the bin liners. With hindsight this was not a good idea as they never went where I was hoping they would go - catching on bits of old wardrobe and leaving space beneath them I realised how expert builders who has worked her in the past and used skips had been in breaking down all their rubble to squeeze as much as possible into the space.
I returned to my knitting.
I have decided to knit some small items during this moving process rather than have a large log cabin on the go with its attendant multiple balls of yarn and needles. I finished a lovely baby cardigan in Debbie Bliis Baby Cashmerino save for the buttons and started the same pattern in Baby Alpaca. I'm not sure if I like this yarn - the stitches look uneven and, although it is a great colour - green, and soft, it looks badly knitted. I will persevere.
I returned to the skip and prodded a few items into gaps.
Then I got on with more paper recycling. By now the skip was looking full, the recycling bins were full and the amount of rubbish seems to just grow.
I decided to bubble wrap all the pictures and photographs.
The skip is pretty dominant at the front of the house but I think that it needs a stronger person to prod it a bit and squash down its current contents.
I caught up with the forums I follow discussing the happenings in The Archers.

No comments:

Post a Comment