Search This Blog

Thursday 5 April 2012

Some old knitting - what we used to wear!!

Clearing out lofts brings memories and some fine examples of what we used to wear!!

I remember this jacket so well. My grandmother, May, knitted it for me. I must have been quite young at the time so the pattern must date from the late 1950s or early 60s.  May had a sister, Em, in Canada and I think the pattern may well have been sent from Em to May. I have vague memories that maybe the wool came too in a pack but that may be a false memory. Research, with the help of June at Knit Nottingham, pointed me in the direction of Cowichan patterns and from there I found the patterns of Mary Maxim. I feel pretty sure that this is the source of this pattern. The jacket is surviving pretty well for its age and for the amount of wear it had. The next ones not so well - there are 2 of them - Paul and I had one each:

Someone must have washed them on a hottish wash but, again, not in bad condition for 50 year olds.
I really want to knit something like these now. Searching the internet I have found similar patterns but not the exact ones. How wonderful, though, that they have survived for so long - someone must not have wanted to let go of them.

Moving on to the 1980s I loved the next two but doubt my children would be too delighted to see me wearing either of them in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment