Search This Blog

Thursday 24 May 2012

Date and Walnut Bread

I like notebooks and journals and keep six or seven going at any one time. Sometimes I use them for family history research, sometimes for notes about knitting and recipes but quite often they are there just to jot down thoughts and things to do. Searching for something on the shelves in the kitchen I came across an old notebook with green pages. Looking at the notes - menus for the week, books to purchase - I would date this notebook at about 1989. Towards the back I came across a recipe for Date and Walnut Bread. I have no idea where it originally came from but I must have liked the recipe as this particular notebook contained only four others and they were for some of my favourite cakes. This is definitely a bread - not sweet nor rich, best kept for a day and then served thinly sliced with butter - though the husband is currently spreading a thin layer of Damson and sloe gin jam on his!

12oz self raising flour
half tsp mixed spice -sift into bole

3oz caster sugar
3oz chopped dates
3oz chopped walnuts - add to bowl and mix

2 eggs beaten
10 fl oz milk - mix together and add to bowl

2 oz butter melted -  stir into bowl and beat well for 2 mins

Turn into greaseproofed loaf tin and bake at gas mark 4 for 1 and a half hours. Mine was well done at this point so next time I will take a look a little earlier

No comments:

Post a Comment