Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 July 2012

Bamboo cotton log cabin for a baby

This has been a lovely but a little frustrating project. I wanted to make a less orthodox baby blanket and had in mind bamboo cotton yarn and primary colours. I bought a huge selection of colours starting with the primaries - red, yellow and blue ( or shades of) but then decided that too many colours would look odd. I then decided to stick with the 3 plus green and orange thinking that I could maybe edge and join with purple. The original 5 balls made most of the 12 squares - except for a cast off in the blue, 3 rows in the orange and a little in the green. Thus 3 more balls. I then concluded on orange joins and started to edge in the blue and orange. The extra green would have made the 4th edge but then there would have been a double colour on the edge of one square. Hence the purchase of an extra ball of yellow. Coming to the end of the yellow edge and having cast off I discovered, to my horror, that I had missed 10 stitches from the corner and had to unravel the lot and start again. Having finished, finally, I think it looks great. A bit hefty for a baby blanket maybe but it could be a cot cover or a small play mat. It feels lovely and is so bright and cheerful and definitely a different kind of baby blanket.

1 comment:

  1. It is such a fabulous piece of work, I think it is glorious. Will be able to be used in so many different ways.

    ReplyDelete