Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 August 2012

Yikes the stash!

A lovely day out in Bury St Edmunds with dear friends. On the journey home it is mentioned that a little yarn shop in their village - nowhere near Bury St Edmunds - is having a closing down sale with 50% off everything. I just had to pay it a visit the following day. A fantastic little shop filled to the brim with yarns of all descriptions - bags of sock, 4 ply, DK, chunky, baby, Noro, cotton - the piles were floor to ceiling shelf and additional piles deep. Where to start? I had parked just outside the shop and knew that I had only 30 minutes to make some decisions. The cottons beckoned - some King Cole Cottonsoft in white, then a pale turqouise. More bamboo cotton but not my favourite shade so that was left behind. Then some glorious lilac bamboo - and, seeing that I was showing an interest in cotton some bags came flying into the shop - a deep orange that could not be resisted. Some Katia candy yarn - a whole bag full would just be perfect for baby knitting and, turning round, those few balls of Snuggly would knit up quickly. Time was ticking by and I had 5 minutes left on my parking. The patterns! So many books, so much to investigate - one pattern book alone and the decision about the stash of yarn that had built up around my feet. At  half price how much would that come to? Just below 3 figures - just being an accurate term. Shall I go back another day, this time with a better plan in mind? Could I resist the Noro? What about all that sock yarn that was just at the side of the counter so not really investigated? The bins of real bargains outside? All the patterns and then the buttons and other haberdashery not even contemplated? I have started knitting with the 4 ply cotton and it is delightful - a change from the other work on needles at the moment - a green chunky Cowichan, a mohair log cabin, a bamboo baby blanket, the Advent calendar socks that I was going to knit 2 of a month from January ( didn't go to plan).
The stash has grown but it is beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, in which town/village is this treasure trove?

    Also, how do you find the time to do so much knitting?

    Today have been doing laundry; cooking apples which husband picked from tree at end of garden; cutting back the overgrown vegetation in garden; some ironing; cooking supper along with a few rows of a baby hat I'm making and cast on a hexipuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The village is Keyworth in Nottinghamshire - dear friends moved there nearly 30 years ago.
    As for time to knit - well I knit whilst doing other things - watching TV and on the phone and, when in the mood, I neglect housework and gardening!!

    ReplyDelete