Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 September 2012

Military cemeteries

I am a frequent visitor to northern France and to memorials of, particularly, the Great War. Many years ago I started to trace my family history. Amongst papers belonging to my late grandmother was a photograph of a young first World War soldier with the word " Brother" writeen on it. A complicated family revealled a husband who married 3 times, had 4 children and 1 adopted child. His eldest son died in the Great War and his youngest daughter is still alive today. Visiting the memorial to Harry Stevens at Tyne Cot was an emotional journey. This week I have been to the military cemetery at Etaples  near to le Touquet. So far as I am aware I have no relatived remembered in this place but the feeling of yet another corner of a French field is little different. Tears well at the huge visible demonstration of loss of young life and the realisation that it still continues. A young soldier in the family died in Afghanistan not so long ago. Etaples was particularly significant to me with hospital deaths - my grandfather drove an ambulance in the Second World War - and remembrance of soldiers from both World wars of the 20th century. I like the solitude of the cemeteries even though there is always someone else there. I like the white gravestones, the simplicity, the dignity. Wreaths and notes left behind for family members unknown but remembered bring a lump to the throat. Visiting Auberchicourt some years ago to see the place of rest of my great great uncle Albert I realised that I may well have been the only person in the family to visit and it would have been nice to have left a mark of respect. So many graves appear neglected in this country and the CWGC make such an excellent job of maintaining sites in Europe that I have seen. Taking flowers to the grave of my late in laws in South Wales some years ago we took a few flowers from the bunch and laid them at the grave of grandparents and an aunt. There was no flower receptacle so they were laid across in front of the headstone. Remembrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment