Search This Blog

Thursday 26 January 2012

Knitting for Grace

It is always a joy to be asked to knit something for someone else and in the past couple of weeks I have been asked to knit for a neighbour's grandchild. The patterns required were good old fashioned jumpers with buttons down the back in 4 ply wool. Of course, this meant the abandonment of the cardigan, the socks and the chunky jumper which has been sitting there for some time now and, inevitably, I had been  out and bought yet more wool and started a couple of projects - a scarf and a baby surprise cardigan which will be a surprise if I ever finish it and I am sure that I am not the first person who has come up with that comment. The little jumpers took longer than my usual double knitting baby items but were a delight to knit. I know that one of the patterns had been knitted by my mother for my, now 30 year old, daughter and the second pattern was one I had not seen before and so can only assume that it was one of my grandmother's, possibly bought for one of my 40 something cousins. Buying my new stash expansion items in a little wool shop recently I glanced through their books of "vintage" patterns and recognised so many from my own supply and from items I remember being knitted for my own children. I love the idea that all over the world people are knitting items for children in the same way and with the same patterns that previous generations did. Enduring skills and love demonstrated through the production of something personal and precious. I long to find the pattens for the wonderful jackets my paternal grandmother made for me and my cousins. I am sure they came from her sister in Canada and I still have 3 of the jackets upstairs - over 50 years old but still precious and personal - how can I give them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment