Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 March 2012

Chickabiddy

Yesterday Chickabiddy was found. She had been missing, presumed lost, for over 20 years but yesterday, whilst cleaning out part of the loft, there she was. She was discovered in a bag containing one old sewing pattern, three knitting patterns and a stash of Phildar and Winfield wool. The contents of the bag confirm the date of her disappearance. The local wool shop sold Phildar wool when my eldest was a baby - she is now 30, and Winfield, as I recall, was the brand name of Woolworths where I may have bought wool in the late 1970s.
I had convinced myself that Chickabiddy had been left behind when we moved house in 1989. I even recall where she had been in the old house - in the cupboard at the top of the stairs. As I had never seen her in this house then this dated her demise and my delight in finding her again after all this time was immense.
Chickabiddy was my first doll. I don't recall exactly when she appeared in my life but I do know that she has been around for over 50 years. I remember finding her again when my first daughter was born but her limbs have a tendency to fall off and so she was consigned to the cupboard at the top of the stairs in the old house many years ago and there she stayed, and, I believed, there she had been left - until yesterday.
I am so delighted that she has been found. I know that she could well do with a trip to a dolls' hospital - if such places still exist but I have managed to reattach her limbs on a temporary basis with the aid of a number of rubber bands. She is old and quite brittle and not really a "playable" item but I feel the need to clothe her and take care of her again. I know that I used to have patterns for dolls' clothes but I cannot find any suitable ones. I do have a book of patterns for premature babies so I may see if the smallest size will fit.
My husband commented on the name - Chickabiddy. We wondered where that had come from. He said that it sounded like a name my mother would have given the doll. I decided to google the name and was quite surprised to find so much use for a name that I had thought was sort of unique.I know wonder what happened to Betty and Susan but nothing will quite take away the delight of finding Chickabiddy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment