Search This Blog

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Three needle cast off

I am thrilled to have discovered a new knitting technique - the three needle cast off. Completing the final square of another log cabin blanket, this time for the eldest and her boyfriend, I was pondering the possible ways of joining the squares and finishing the blanket. The neapolitan one was finished by a mixture of blanket and slip stitch joining the squares with a plain knitted border. This one I wanted to have a neater finish so I decided to try the 3 needle cast off to join the squares and it really works. The join is neat and provides a little ridge in between each square. I have chosen to use the red wool to provide the joins and, if there is suffcient wool left, then I am thinking of a couple of rows of red around the edge before finishing the border in the deeper of the two browns.
I seriously over estimated the amount of wool for this blanket and probably have enough for a second one. The ideas going around my head at the moment are for another log cabin but this time with a uniform pattern, a contrasting colour for the 3 needle cast off and another contrast for the border. I may start on this new blanket as soon as this one is complete or I may finish the green one in progress or I may revert to Charlie's cardigan, the bamboo cardigan or the baby clothes for Chickabiddy. Whatever I decide to move on to I am delighted to have extended my knitting knowledge especially one which works so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment