Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 March 2012

Comfort baking

There are few things more appealling than the smell of a cake baking in the oven and, as I am writing this, the  house is full of the aroma of 2 date and walnut loaves which will be ready to take out in about 20 minutes. I have been attempting to watch my weight recently and have not been baking much. Today, however, a trip to a local farm shop produced some rather lovely looking dates ( amongst other things) and the hens are laying well at the moment so I succumbed.
Thinking back to appealling smells I noticed a posting on Facebook recently by a cousin's wife who commented on how she loved the smell of freshly laundered sheets that had been drying outside. When the children were small and spent so much time outside in the garden I used to love burying my head in their hair to breathe in that freshness. I have a very sensitive sense of smell and can pick up perfumes at quite a distance. Familiar scents on the "wrong" person often cause me to stop and frown. A friend once picked up on the frown and I had to explain that she was wearing my elder daughter's distinctive perfume and it had rather thrown me to smell it on her. My grandmother was an Estee Lauder fan and my mother liked Chanel. My younger daughter is currently wearing the same Chanel and it follows her around the flat.
Some of my favourties:
wood burning
strawberries
Chanel no 19
baking bread
fresh coffee
coal tar soap
bacon
freesias

No comments:

Post a Comment