Search This Blog

Tuesday 13 December 2011

Daily disasters

I can get disproportinately upset by little things going wrong. It never seems to be the elephant in the room but all the little rabbits hiding in unexpected corners. Sometimes the instant reaction is to go our and buy a new one - that tends to be for such essential items as kettles but also, for me, includes dishwashers and laptops - hence a small supply of kettles in the pantry which, actually, only needed the cable pushing in completely or some such minor thing. On other occasions, such as today, the item may not be so essential or the thing going wrong really does necessitate getting someone in.
I put the coffee machine on and came back to find the work surface flooded and the filter blocked - only one cup of coffee had filtered through and there was no more ground coffee. The coffee machine is elderly - probably nearly 20 years old but, with patience on my part and a good clean it now seems to be working again.
Pulling a bag of hen layer pellets out of the back of the car it caught on the handle for opening the back window and the end of the handle snapped off. Super glue is called for on this one and it is not urgent.
Water pouring through the kitchen ceiling around the light fitting seemed a bit of an urgent issue. Investigation suggests that it is the shower in the bathroom above the kitchen and even a small amount of water in the shower comes through the ceiling. A plumber has been called.
The thing that is really bothering me today, though, is the wool that I am currently knitting up. I love this yarn, it is beautiful cream colour and feels soft and snuggly. The first time I started to knit with it was to make a cowl for myself. It kept breaking as I was casting on but I persevered and got well into the second ball. Then I decided that I didn't really like the pattern so frogged it. What I really needed, I decided, was a hat with ear flaps. I found a pattern that I liked and started to knit. Again, into the second ball I concluded that it wasn't going to work for me and I frogged again. Third attempt with the same wool is a hooded baby jacket but, again, I am not happy
Disproportionate reaction to events is not good. Events happen, disasters happen and it is the way we react to them that causes unnecessary painful feelings. One of my favourtie sayings to myself is - everything is going to be alright, and it usually is. The coffee machine is fixed, the car and shower will be fixed and the wool saga will sort. I love that scene in Love Actually where Andrew Lincoln, having told Keira Knightly how he feels about her, says "Enough". That is such a good reminder for me. No more frustration with wool - enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment