Search This Blog

Saturday 3 December 2011

Early December events continued......

Middlest comments that my blog is actually my diary and I wonder when I last really kept a written - as in pen and paper - diary. Not so very long ago and whenever life seemed to need some comment on a day to day basis.
Back to 30 years ago - minus one day. Things do not always go according to plan - as I was saying before I went off to the dentist. What was the plan? House in Dorset sold and all belongings, furniture, clothes, plants put into store there. Husband starting new job on December 1st. A few days spent in Stoke with family awaiting birth of Julie's baby then settling into Nottingham in time for our baby? The actuality involved a new job for a day before a request for leave, a new, rather early and little baby, a slightly grumpy, still pregnant cousin and then came the snow.
30 years ago it started to snow. I remember it well. I was in a hospital I had never been to before. I turned up in labour with all my records some distance away. My baby was early. We were in a ward with a wonderful view of the surrounding area which quickly became covered in snow. There were a few "issues" - an early baby, all belongings in store in Weymouth save a few maternity clothes, no home to go to and snow.
10 days later, and still snow but Julie's Dad came to drive us back to my parents to stay for a short while whilst husband contined to look for somewhere to live in Nottingham. Still snow some weeks later but mother and new baby safely ensconced with grandparents who had been shopping for babygros and carrycots and husband camping out with a group of students in Nottingham as snow prohibiting easy travel. An easy time to remember as, in the following weeks, a war was declared over the Falklands, the snow seemed to stay for a long time on the country lane by the parents and the house hunting in Nottingham proved challenging.
All came well, as it does, by the spring and today memories are rose tinted. Shopping for new clothes was a necessity. The house removal people cared for all the house plants and they, eventually, arrived in Nottingham thriving. The baby thrived too and the house we eventually bought was owned by a midwife who, coincidentall,y was the midwife on the ward where the middlest was born 20 months and 20 days later

No comments:

Post a Comment