Search This Blog

Monday 5 December 2011

Wool stash

An undelivered parcel necessitated a visit to the sorting office which is perilously close to the nearest wool shop. I have only recently become aware of the, rather common, phenomenon of the wool "stash" and, although I am reassured to know that I am not the only one to suffer from this particular affliction, it is nonetheless an expensive and at times seemingly bizarre occupation. I think that I have always had a stash of some degree or another. The deep pink chenille must have been purchased for some project in the 1980s and the huge stock of pastel 3 ply skeins is likely to have been related to a baby but I have no recollection of who and when. I can only assume that the vivid yellow double knitting must have had some connection to ducks. It is something of a relief to know that this is a fairly common thing for knitters to do and people actually share examples of their stash contents on various websites with or without any particular projects in mind.
My current stash includes basic baby knitting wools, some rather lovely merino wools, cottons and aran weights. Colours range from pink to green with various shades of natural. Potential projects for most of the stash simply do not exist apart from possibilities limited to "baby" or "scarf". My stash expanded by 4 lots today. I did have one project in mind though; a snood or cowl as a possible Christmas present - depending on the success of the pattern. Planning must have been on my mind in the wool shop too as i actually bought some circular needles - note the plural as my planning skills did not include knowing the correct size to buy and so I bought 3. The suitable pattern was sourced on Ravelry and I began knitting this afternoon. The pattern's initial instruction not to twist the stitches did not reach my brain until about 30 rows later and necessitated some serious frogging but the current work is looking promising. The wool is soft and the pattern appealling. Knitting on circular needles is a new experience for me and does not always fit in with my limited concentration - or rather watching TV whilst knitting. I am enjoying this project. It does mean, however, that some of my stash stock has been used which surely must mean another trip to replenish stocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment