Search This Blog

Tuesday 6 December 2011

A day of cowls

Online grocery shopping has revolutionised my life. I loathe the grind of the regular weekly shop. The basic necessities provide no attraction on shelves in overlit sheds crowded with too many people and too many trollies in too narrow aisles. That said, I do enjoy the occasional excursion to an out of town Waitrose or a French Carrefour. Even an American Wal-mart can provide an hour or so of escapism on a gloomy, preferably snowy day.
Today I was waiting in for deliveries from Asda and Ocado - both booked to arrive at roughly the same time and I used the waiting time as an excuse to work on a couple of cowls. The first one in a delightfully soft merino wool on a circular needle and the second in infuriating super chunky. I was reasonably pleased with the results and started on a second merino cowl in a slightly larger size and a second chunky - just because I have the wool, again using slightly more stitches.
The word cowl reminded me of cawl, the Welsh stew, not dissimilar to the Staffordshire lobby and, shopping having arrived, I decided to make one of my versions of  "casserole". I had a small pack of stewing beef, some leftover red wine in the freezer, lots of garlic and a selection of root vegetables. All went into the old le creuset pan and spent 3 hours in the oven on gas mark 1. Such meals always seem to taste better reheated after a few days so the casserole was decanted into containers for the fridge to await the arrival of the son on a visit in a couple of days time.

No comments:

Post a Comment