Search This Blog

Monday 5 September 2011

Ealing comedies and the hens

Wonderful that Ealing comedies are being given the recognition they deserve. I was first introduced to them by a general studies teacher in the sixth form. We watched The Lavender Hill Mob and I was hooked. The sheer brilliance of Alec Guinness and the dark humour mixed with slapstick - think Frankie Howerd and the horse in The Ladykillers - my personal favourite. I was delighted when my son watched Passport to Pimlico as part of his History degree; an excuse to buy the DVD so that he could revise! Just wonderful. Much as I like Tom Hanks I could not bear the idea of watching the remake of The Ladykillers at the time -maybe I will give it a go but I can't imagine capturing anything like the magic of the original.

Delighted that Doris, the speckled star, has stopped being broody and started laying again. She lays lovely dark brown speckled eggs. I know that it is not a great idea to name the hens but we recycle them - we now have Maldwyn lll - names are not gender specific - sure the hens don't mind

No comments:

Post a Comment