Search This Blog

Thursday 8 September 2011

Six sisters

What must it be like to be one of six sisters? I suppose you only know if you have five sisters. I know families with five sisters but not six. These six sisters dominated my early life. My grandmother was the youngest. She took on the caring role in the family. Never happier than with a baby or small child to care for. I remember taking my second daughter to meet her for the first time. Her fingers were twitching, arms held out in front of her awaiting that new little bundle. By that time she had moved from the original family home to the home of her 2 maiden sisters and that is where this particular photograph was taken. I was there at the time. There is another photograph with members of the family. I am kneeling at the front with another of the grandchildren of the sisters, Christopher.
I know all their names. I knew all their children. I am still in touch with the majority of their grandchildren and know the names of the rest. I know each time a new great grandchild is born. Their grandchildren are spread around the world - UK, US, Canada, Australia, Germany. This photograph was taken to celebrate the eldest sister's visit from Canada;she had emigrated in the 1920s.
There was a brother too.

No comments:

Post a Comment