Search This Blog

Monday 5 September 2011

What to do with the glut of courgettes

Gardening is not my passion. I like to harvest the crops and I don't mind pruning nor cutting the grass but weeding and constant maintenance are not my thing. This year, as usual, we have a glut of courgettes or marrows as the ones left behind now have become. Earlier in the season I picked the smaller courgettes and made copious amounts of ratatouille for the freezer - light on the aubergine, heavy on the garlic and courgette. I also griddled and froze some to add to couscous with garlic and herbs at some point.
Some years ago Mary in Chicago suggested I make zuchinni cake. I adapted a Mary Berry courgette loaf recipe to make a courgette loaf which is wonderfully moist and moreish. It is so simple to make and freezes well. It has gone down well with some afternoon teas this year.

Ingredients
3 eggs - from the hens of course - gluts of courgettes came with gluts of eggs
275ml sunflower oil
350g caster sugar - I use unrefined, not the white stuff
330g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsps bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp ground cinnamon - I think I added more, I usually do
175g dried fruit - I used sultanas for one batch but dates worked really well with another batch and I think I prefer dates
150g nuts - I used walnts for one batch then a mixture of nuts. Need to be chopped but quite roughly
350g courgettes or marrow grated

Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4 and line 2 2lb loaf tins with greaseproof.
Just measure all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix to make a thick batter like consistency
Pour the mixture into the tins and bake for about an hour until a skewer comes out clean. My oven took just over an hour to get to this stage.
Cool on a wire rack
I freeze the loaves after cutting them in half unless I know I will want a whole loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment