Search This Blog

Monday 5 September 2011

I love Anne Tyler

I sometimes try to remember how I was first introduced to an author. Some are obvious - Jane Austen - school;Emile Zola - my friend at university, Rebecca; Daphne du Maurier - that time in school in France when we watched" Rebecca" with subtitles. With Anne Tyler it was the gift of "Morgan's Passing" with the comment that I thought you might like this. I did and then, in the way that I usually react, had to read everything else that she had ever written. I was delighted to see that there is a new novel due next year and it is already on pre-order. I really don't like that term "pre-order" but I suppose it does the job. Rarely will I buy a book the minute it comes out in hardback but Anne Tyler is the exception to my rule. Carol Shields would have been an exception too. Whilst I am awaiting "The Beginner's Goodbye" I am working my way through the works of Richard Russo. How did I discover him? I knew that I loved Carol Shields, Anne Tyler and E Annie Proulx and that they had all been Pulitzer prize winners so I googled and came up with a range of authors and Richard Russo was the first one I tried. The usual "read everything" is now on number four with a few to go. Delightful reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment