Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Sad news

Terribly sad news. One of the White Stars - I think it is Simon rather than Garfunkel, has just been killed by a fox. I was standing in the kitchen watching them when I saw Doris leap over the fence which is supposed to keep them from the restricted area at the bottom of the garden. I could hear rustling in the hedge and could see a flash of red.brown. Thinking it was one of the columbines I called her and then was horrifed to see a fox. I screamed at it and ran down to quickly capture the rest of them. I could only find 8 and was frantically searching for the last one when I guessed she may have been laying and, fortunately, she was. So only nine hens left now. I wonder if I could have done more. Should I have stayed outside with them? Probably not. The capture was close to the house; it is unlikely that I could have done anything. The circle of life as someone I know might say.

No comments:

Post a Comment