Search This Blog

Sunday 30 October 2011

Clocks

After 31 years and two months the carriage clock on the mantlepiece has stopped. Changing clocks back an hour every October has never been my favourite pastime. I hate dark mornings and dark evenings in equal measure and today, whilst altering the cloc,k that was a wedding present from Charlie and June, it stopped and cannot be persuaded to revive. I find myself disproportionately anxious and cross when things do not work and the clock stopping was quickly followed by the printer deciding not to print - again. Patience won on this occasion and the recipe for apple chutney has now printed - twice. Back to clocks. The gap had to be replaced and a search revealled a pleasant carriage clock which would not look amiss. A previously undiscovered plaque on its back identified that it had been given to my mother as a retirement present by the children at the school where she taught for many years. It seems appropriate that it should replace the defunct wedding present. A further clock, with a clearer face, was then brought back to life with a new battery and that is now alongside the Wedgwood box which was always kept in my parents' bedroom and is now in my sitting room. The box has a chipped lid and I never recall it being in perfect condition. I imagine that it was meant for keeping "trinkets". We don't talk about trinkets any more but it is a lovely word. I imagine that my son would have loved that word as a child. Some words are quite delightful: delicate, delightful, squashy, bubbling,juxtaposition. Changing the clocks as a term only brings thoughts of frustration that, yet again, I did not make a note last year about how to change the time on the range, the microwave, the boiler. I actually don't think that the microwave has ever had the correct time but does it matter? I understand that in Russia they are staying on summer time. As someone about to fly across a number of time zones I wonder why it all seems so complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment