Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 October 2011

Farewell Phoenix: Hello Las Vegas

Plans change and Beryl's 85th birthday will now be celebrated in Las Vegas, not a place I have visited in the past and new places and new experiences are always a good thing. The anticipation of a booking and a destination can outweigh the actual experince but our recent holiday in Cornwall exceeded expectations in many ways and positvity is my word for today. I am so looking forward to meeting up with family members, some I have not seen for 38 years and Las Vegas has always appealled as a brasher Blackpool maybe.
My parents loved going to Blackpool and it was a frequent holiday destination during my childhood. Photographs show that we spent time building sandcastles on the beach and I have memories of hotel rooms shared with my grandparents and Paul. It is some years since we were there; the last time being when I joined my parents with my small children and we went to the circus in the Tower. There was a discussion after my parents died about where to scatter their ashes and we had wondered about a family trip to Blackpool to complete the deed - discussion only and still something to be done. Strange how the mind works sometimes, meandering from Las Vegas to scattering of ashes via Blackpool. I think my Dad would have liked Las Vegas but, like Canada, it was a destination off limits as it would have involved a flight and that was never an option. The missed opportunity of a cruise across the Atlantic reminds me to grasp every opportunity as it is offered and live every day for that day - who knows what tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment