Search This Blog

Thursday 20 October 2011

Train journeys

One of my favourite train journeys is going north towards the midlands from South Wales. Leaving Newport and travelling across to Chepstow and then alongside the Bristol channel up to Cheltenham is quite beautiful. The scenery is not as dramatic as the journey from Sheffield across the Pennines to Manchester but the view over the Severn has a certain serenity. One day I may see the famous Severn bore and watch those who attempt to surf with it. Mostly the water is calm and still and I can ponder the days of the Severn ferries before the 2 crossings and wonder at the lives of those in the nineteenth century who crossed the river from rural Wiltshire and Gloucestershire to find work in the industry of South Wales. The train is a relaxing alternative to driving but then the road from Goodrich in Herefordshire to Newport is again one of my favourite journeys. Today is a first for me. The first time I have had my laptop and dongle with me on the train and, as we pull into Gloucester, I find that the time is going quickly and I will soon be back to the hens and a new batch of baking. The more time I spend in Wales the more I know that I want to be there all the time, not for periods of time but permanently. There seems to be so much more sky and that makes me calm and relaxed. If a house and garden could somehow be magically relocated then my life would change. I must wait to see what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment