Search This Blog

Friday 28 October 2011

Good old spag bol

I am a great believer in cooking in bulk. My 30 year old le creuset casserole is nearing the end of its, very useful, life and high on my list of Christmas present requests this year is a new one. The second casserole is a Dutch oven and this too, over the years, has received a battering and the lid no longer fits tightly so it is only useful for meals prepared on the hob. The third implement is the stock pot which, during the year, can be found in use as a bread bin - or bread shed as it is known in our family or storage for any manner of goodies when it is not  bubbling away on the range with its huge capacity to make soup for a party, mulled wine for a multitude, chicken stock to fill a freezer and a spaghetti sauce to provide meals for a week.
Today the le creuset is in use with the ubiquitous sauce for spag bol. My typical plan would go as follows:
Equipment - 2 large casserole type pans and an extra saucepan
Ingredients - onions, peppers, garlic, mixed herbs, tins of tomatoes, mushrooms, leftover red wine, chilli flakes or powder or sauce or fresh, leftover vegetables, courgettes in season, beef mince or lentils and aubergines, red kidney beans
The last ingredient would raise an eyebrow before the explanation that I do like to cook in bulk but I also like to vary the meals we may have in a week. A basic tomato sauce is easily divided and extras added to make:
A sauce to have with spaghetti
A base for a lasagne
Chilli con carne - with added red kidney beans and chilli
A base for burritos
Without the beef mince but with the lentils and added vegetables for a vegetarian option of any of the dishes and with any leftovers blitzed with additional liquid for a lunchtime soup.
I like to chop 3 onions and fry them gently in olive oil, adding a little salt to stop them browning. I then divide the onions in between the 2 casseroles - or 3 if I am making a vegetarian option. Into two I will add the mear and brown. I am using frozen garlic at the moment which comes in blocks and I will add a block or two at this stage. Then any chopped peppers or other vegetables and any herbs and spices followed by tomatoes and extra stock or just water. Into one pan I will add the red kidney beans and extra chilli and then they can all just simmer away for an hour or two. I have a stock of small plastic containers with lids which can take the sauces for the freezer or just to store in the fridge to be brought out to be added to pasta, rice, a jacket potato or a tortilla wrap. Economical and tasty and home made food.

No comments:

Post a Comment