Search This Blog

Sunday 2 October 2011

Post holiday tasks

One of the joys of a country cottage as opposed to a hotel is a washing machine. Two weeks away but only a small amount of washing to do on return. Sadly, this does not diminish the ironing pile but that can wait until the small gardening and food preparation tasks are completed. Just before we went away I picked all the coriander seeds and left them to dry. They have now been decanted into a Kilner jar ready to be planted out in the spring. The plan is to plant a complete raised bed and pick and freeze bunches as they are ready. I like plans but, unfortunately, they do not always work out. Tomatoes have ripened in the sun but only enough to eat. The apples will prove to be the largest job. I have made apple chutney in the past and that, again, is the plan but there are plenty of bramleys and apple crumbles and pies beckon. The last remaining courgettes have turned into marrows in our absence and are still outside. I think they may stay there until I have made a decision as to what to do with them. The delight of googling the word "marrow" awaits me. In the meantime I have decisions to make about my next knitting project. The baby blanket completed on holiday has now been edged and consigned to the "awaiting deliveries" pile and a smaller project seems attractive - perhaps a small blanket or another jacket, maybe in a larger size in readiness for a Christmas present. Amongst the post awaiting our return was my November copy of Good Housekeeping magazine and the inevitable early suggestions for Christmas gifts so that may be something I will be thinking about in the next few weeks. For now I will start the third Richard Russo novel of the fortnight; my current favoured author.

No comments:

Post a Comment