Search This Blog

Friday 7 October 2011

Daytime television

It has to be a guilty pleasure, watching television during the day. Sometimes the TV is on in the background with no one really watching it but it is a reassuring presence in the house; voices in the background. When I know that I will be at home all day my listening and viewing will tend towards radio 4 before 9, radio 2 until 12 and then whatever is on BBC1 until the news at one. My mother always made the same comment about programmes searching out antiques in ordinary homes -" amazing what some people have in their homes". Indeed. No doubt people are amazed by my inability to get rid of paperback books but there is equally no doubt that it would  not make riveting viewing. I understand that the curs in the BBC funding will result in programmes such as these no longer being made for daytime viewing on BBC2 but, instead, there will be repeats. I don't mind repeats but it depends on what is being repeated. I can watch, indefintely, old situation comedies." As time goes by" is my idea of perfect gentle viewing and., later at night, I can watch episodes of "Gavin and Stacey" and laugh as if I have never seen it before. I can continue to watch "The Wire" and "The Guardian" and concentrate but, for me, daytime television is not something to concentrate on. I like the sound of the background noise but I am doing something else. In one room I may be knitting whilst watching some feed on the internet and "watching" TV. I can be baking in the kitchen and glancing through the door to see what is happening on screeen whilst listening to the radio. I usually have background TV whilst doing family history research or reading. Looking back at my first sentence I should perhaps amend that  - it has to be a guilty pleasure, having the television on during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment