Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 November 2011

30 years ago

It has to be a pretty significant event for me to remember exactly where I was 30 days ago let alone 30 years ago. On November 30th 1981 I was in Stoke on Trent. My husband was due to start a new job in Nottingham on December 1st, all our belongings were in store in Dorset and our first baby was due in about a month's time. My cousin's baby was due any day and I was pleased to be near her in readiness for the event. Our plan was to spend the following day Christmas shopping in Hanley in the hope that her baby would make an appearance sooner rather than later. Things did not go exactly to plan.

5 comments:

  1. So what happened? Was your baby born before cousin's child?

    I am sure Pat Archer would remember where she was thirty years ago. she has never forgotten details about John's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went Christmas shopping with Julie. My husband went off to start his new job. That evening I went into labour and my daughter was born in the early hours. Julie's baby did not arrive until the 19th - she wouldn't come to see me for ages - she was not happy. My daughter is 30 today and her daughter will be 30 on the 19th - they both now live in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Husband had to call work on his second day .....I know I only started here yesterday but my wife had a baby in the middle of the night....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that wintry time, my parents were celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary on 14th December and it had to be postponed until 29th February the next year.

    The hotel was on Richmond Hill, they were so good, didn't charge us for the postponement. Also, my son was 1 year old then, we couldn't use the McClaren buggy and had to get the big pram out again because of the icy paths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother insisted that I had to have a big Silver Cross pram and, as we were staying there, I could hardly argue. It was some time before we could take it out. The other day I found an old McClaren double buggy in the loft - one of the plastic stripy ones - the sort you kicked to collapse!

    ReplyDelete