Search This Blog

Saturday 5 November 2011

Baby Blankets

I like to have a knitting project that I can just throw into a bag and take along with me on a trip. The prerequisites of such a project have to be:
a that it requires only one set of needles
b that I can continue knitting whilst talking to other people
c that I do not have to remember to take a pattern with me
d there is no urgency to finish the project
e there is enough wool to keep me going throughout the trip
The ideal candidate is a baby blanket. Not a shawl which is cumbersome unless I know that I will be away for a while and have plenty of space for extra wool but a baby blanket that I know the pattern by heart and can just sit and knit anywhere, anytime.


In true form I now have a glut of baby blankets. I made one for my god daughter's daughter, Emily - a shawl and another one, a blanket, for her sister's baby. Then I seemed to have a number of trips - Cornwall produced another shawl and recent visits to children have resulted in 2 more blankets without a baby to attach them to. They can stay "in stock" and no doubt will come into use before too long but they have already served a purpose - to keep me occupied and to provide, what my husband calls, that soporific click of knitting needles on a long dark evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment