Search This Blog

Wednesday 9 November 2011

A typical November day

On of those days when it never seems to be quite light. Lamps on in the house all day and fire lit by 11 in the morning. I do love having an open fire - the glow of coals, or better still, logs, is a warming focal point on a dismal day.
Socks coming along after re-working the heel. It is still not right but I am going with it and will amend the pattern for the second sock.
The hens are wallowing in mud. They had taken themselves inside by just after 4.30pm but during the day had been covering everything with the mud that engulfs their coop at this time of year. I watched as they trampled across the clear plastic which covers a run for them, managed to stand in their food and flicked more mud into their water. Collecting eggs is a dirty business - 3 today but all covered with mud. I pulled up a piece of turf from around the vegetable beds and threw it in to them earlier. It had disappeared by my next visit.
My plans for today had included making a batch of Banana Bread. Last week's online delivery had contained an excess of bananas which were looking, last night, at the right stage of ripeness for baking. Going to retrieve them today for my list of ingredients I found that all but 2 were missing. I was certain that there were 6 last night and I had intended to make 2 large loaves - 3 bananas each. A couple of phone calls later and the culprit emerged - had taken 2 to eat during the day but had made that decision twice and added 4 to the rucksack. No Banana bread baked today.
Safely wrapped up warm inside now with the curtains closed, fire blazing and supper in the oven. Knitting at my side and some easy entertainment on the TV. In less than 48 hours I will be on my way to Vegas!

No comments:

Post a Comment