Search This Blog

Monday 7 November 2011

My first pair of socks - day two

Yesterday I purchased the following:
2 balls of Regia 4-fadig Ringel Color
1 sock pattern
1 set of 3.25mm double pointed ends needles

Today I concluded that I didn't understand the pattern at all so downloaded what I hope will be an English translation - in knitting terms, of the American pattern. I also realised that the needles I had bought were too thick so I spent an "enjoyable" hour or so sorting out the needles in my late grandmother's knitting needle bag. In there I found a large number of double pointed needles and, thank goodness, a little device for measuring such needles. I found that I had, in different lengths, some 15 needles in what seems to be the approximate correct size.
Sitting with the wool, the 2 patterns and a set of longish needles I started to cast on the 60 stitches required for the size I am attempting. This proved to be the first "issue" or "challenge" I faced. I have never done any knitting like this before and wasn't quite sure how to cast on over the needles. I was finally happy with my 15 stitches on each of the 4 needles. Then came the next challenge. I really didn't know how to proceed. Did I just knit 15 on to an existing 15 but then they would all be on the same needle? Why did I seem to have multiples of 5 needles? I then realised, what must be so obvious, that I used the 5th needle to knit on to. It only took one round of stitches for me to understand that I was using needles which were just too long and cumbersome and so I "frogged" ( a new term I have just discovered - unravelled and started again).
The second attempt at casting on was easier on the shorter needles and I began the ribbing. I was still puzzled about whether to have the new needle on top or underneath the previous one but after a while it all seemed rather more intuitive. The patterns were not specific as to exact sizing so I continued in rib for about 2 cms and then proceeded on to stocking stitch. I was bemused by the term - obviously the stitch for stockings and hence socks. It was also a revelation that, if I continued to knit then it would come out as stocking stitch without the need to do a row of knit and then one of purl - you learn something new every day if you try new things!

Having moved on to the main leg section of the first sock I must stop thinking about what on earth is going to happen when I get to the heel. It is never useful to project about what might happen in the future or to constantly worry about "what if..." I am enjoying this knitting so far and will carry on and just take it one stage at a time.
In terms of actual physical progress on day two there is not a great deal but it terms of a learning experience it is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment