Search This Blog

Monday 28 November 2011

Nearly December and apples

The bramley apple tree in the garden was severely pruned a couple of years ago and branches were found to be rotten to the core. I didn't really expect much of the remains of the tree after that but it has contined to produce wonderful cooking apples and this year seems to have a bumper crop. Even though it is December in a couple of days there are still apples on the tree and plentiful windfalls since the stormy nights of last week. Stewed apples freeze well as do apple crumbles and apple cakes but yesterday's apple cakes/puddings seemed to disappear before cooling and never made the freezer. Every year I think that I will make apple chutney and I print out recipes and buy Kilner jars yet  never seem to get round to making it. My mother and mother in law made wonderful apple pies and I love pies and strudels so they will go on to the "good idea" list for this year. Perhaps it would be a good idea to set a day aside to bake rather than just do it when it occurs to me that the apples may be getting past their best. However, having set today aside to tackle the ironing pile which is still sitting in the ktichen maybe I am not the best person to make plans which I will then feel guilty about not keeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment