Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 November 2011

The sock saga - day 3

How addictive can knitting socks be? This is my first pair of socks and I thought it would just be a different project to my usual, quite straightforward, baby items. I was quite wrong. I am supposed to be ironing but I am sitting here knitting this first sock. I have actually put the knitting down now with the intention of picking up the iron but have to get my thoughts down now before I can continue. I have been loving the knitting rounds on  4 needles although I do have the tell tale signs of small holes where each exchange of needle takes place that are the sign of inexperience. This morning I reached 12 cms which is going to be the length of Jessica's socks to the heel. I would have preferred exact details on the pattern for a length as a beginner sock knitter. Now comes the heel. I figured out that it would now be 3 needles and found 2 holders for the remaining stitches on needles 2 and 3 - using needles 1 and 4 for the heel. Then came the "double stitch". I read and re-read the instructions, looked at and looked at again, the diagram, attempted the stitch, tried again and again and finally made a stitch that is an estimation of what I think it is. How wonderful it would be to be able to call a Mother, Mother in law or Grandmother at this stage and ask for an explanation. On Youtube I can only find a crochet double stitch and a site where someone says that she vows to put on Youtube a demonstration of the kind of double stitch I am talking about - but she doesn't seem to have done so as yet. From her diagrams I am not doing it correctly and it is "allegedly" an example of German engineering. I have only done 4 rows in my version so I will try to make a better attempt on row 5 rather than "frog". I accept that this is my first attempt and I am learning more each day. Jess has already said that she would like the socks just to wear around the house but I shall still try to do the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment